Pages

Follow by Email

Monday, October 8, 2012

Zombies... gotta love them.. or do you?

With it being the scary season (all subjective i know!) I wanted to bring back some of my favorite posts for this time of year. With a new horror novel being released in the coming week (yes, you read that right) I felt it only fitting to bring us back to a very big genre and one that has been very hot as of late. Yes, its those walking around, zombified, virus infected.... UNDEAD. So, let's have some fun.


Zombies:



Undead, mutilated, brain eating creatures.  They are creepy and everything that can make one cringe when they feed. They do not feel, they do not comprehend and they do not stop. It is a part of horror that has been around for years, and one that I think it utterly fascinating. There are some great classics out there and some others that are more up to date. Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order.



28 days later/28 weeks later:


You cannot  mention one without the other. The first one was good, but the second was better. I’m not certain that you can necessarily consider them zombies, as they never are actually dead, but they are close. The creepy level is high, and their need to feed is equal to any of the movies out there. What makes this one interesting, is that these creatures aren’t the slow versions we have seen in the past. It is one of the things that has developed as the movies have progressed over the years. Also, with these creatures, once their supply of food runs out, they slowly die.

Dawn of the Dead:


I actually liked the remake of the original. This is the typical zombie horror flick. Dead coming back to life wanting to just eat humans. There was one scene I did get a kick out of and that was the beginning where the woman and her husband are attacked by a little girl they knew. Great scene. Also, the ending left open for so much more, as always. Can’t be a run of the mill hack and slash of undead. I did hate when Jake Weber stayed behind because he knew he was infected. Total bummer.



Resident Evil series:


This series, is by far, one of my favorites. It has everything. Undead, bad guys and a group of people who can kick butt. This series pushed the whole undead/zombie genre off the map to me. I love the fact that the virus itself can mutate in both good and bad ways. I love Alice’s character and most of the others who were very strong secondary players. The undead are evolving in the different movies and I will be curious to see where the fifth installment goes. Granted, like most undead, they crave brains and fresh meat, but this one even went so far as incorporate other creatures into the mix. Remember the birds in the fourth movie? That scene was fantastic with the fire.

Shaun of the Dead:


Yes, this movie was dorky, off the wall and completely great. I love Simon Peg and always have. His humor has been one that I have enjoyed watching, and this one was a big one for me. The undead are done in such a way that you don’t feel scared, grossed out or creepy . They are just… there. Plus, the way he tries to get past them is great. The scene of them fitting is was great. Not to mention the end where his friend is. I won’t say exactly what, in case anyone reading this has not seen the movie J Can’t spoil it for anyone out there.

So anyway, these are some of my favorites. I’m actually going to be writing a novel in the near future that will incorporate the undead in some form and I cannot wait to write it. Zombies are an interesting part of the genre and one that I think will always be around. So, what are some of your favorites? I would love to hear.

Happy reading and writing.

R.G. Porter

3 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with the comic books, "Walking Dead?" Best. zombies. ever.

    The zombies are just a fact of life. It's the living that are the real problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that one, never heard of it before. Only comics I ever really messed with were Evil Ernie and Lady Death. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Passing through for the Halloween blog hop!

    Not a fan of horrors myself, lol.

    TToria
    xo
    http://ttoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete